Thursday, August 18, 2005

Jews vs. Jews

I woke up this morning to protests in the Gaza Strip. Israel is pulling out of the Gaza Strip and protests have broken out, but they're relatively peaceful. The sight is almost inspiring.

This morning, Israeli troops were removing protestors from the Gaza Strip and it was a surprisingly peaceful scene. When I think of protestors and the military being called to remove them, I think of groups of military personnel, with full riot gear, marching into "combat". This is not the case in Gaza. The military greatly outnumbers the protestors, but they are not in riot gear. In fact they aren't armed with anything but water, water for the protestors!

The protestors simply sit on the floor with locked arms and legs and wait until it is their turn to be physically pulled out of the chain and carried by four or more soldiers into waiting transportation. As I watch this I am intrigued by the scene. Here are Israeli soldiers being ordered to remove their fellow Israeli citizen, protesting for a greater cause.

The sight reminds me of the pictures I've seen from the Civil Rights movement and I can't help but respect the people of Israel; neither side has resorted to violence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very timely and inciteful comments...I have mixed feelings about the Gaza strip....but I second the "peaceful removement" from this area..

Anonymous said...

Do you think this will make a difference?
Can the Palestinian people turn away from violence?
Did the end justify the means?