Sunday, July 17, 2005

Intention

While Watching Dr. Wayne Dyer’s PBS special on his book, The Power of Intention, I was already formulating in my mind what I was going to write. I had originally planned was to write about the Seven Faces of Intention; (Creativity, Kindness, Love, Beauty, Expansiveness, Abundance and Receptivity) in fact, I took four pages of notes on everything I would write about, and then the most amazing happened. Dr. Dyer’s daughter came on stage and sang a song that I haven’t heard in a long time and haven’t sung in an even longer time. She sang the Prayer of St. Francis. I love this song. I love the words, I love the melody, but mostly I love the way it always makes me feel. It just has such life to it that every time I hear it of sing it I feel open. Open to everything; to God, to possibilities and opportunities, to the people around me. Open. Like I really am what the songs says I am, a channel.

While she was singing the camera panned the audience. What an awe-inspiring thing. Here was this woman being a channel for these words while those around her opened themselves to receive them. Without being asked to, without it being habit or ritual; this room full of strangers joined hands and together let the music and the power behind it, move them. This alone gave me chills. I in turn felt their presence and their power.

I have not really though about this song in a while. Every once in a great while, the song will pop into my head for no reason and refuse to leave. In the past I have though nothing of it, but after observing what the power of those words, that melody, made that audience full of strangers feel, I have begun to wonder.

Was my subconscious trying to tell me to become more open? Or was it trying to tell me at that moment, on that day when that song popped into my head, I already was?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are the words of that song and where can we hear it?

Anonymous said...

My favorite version is by Sarah McLaughlin.
Here are the words:

"Lord make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.

And where there is sadness, joy.

O divine master grant that I may
not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love
For it is in giving that we receive-
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned.
And it's in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen"

Anonymous said...

I did not realize that song was the prayer I always called desaderata (sp?). It combines what a human being should aspire to be.I try to live by it especially as I get older and realize what is really important in life.....