Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Elevator Etiquette

I ride an elevator everyday. It's not something most people think about, just another way to get to where you are going. Normally I don't think anything of it, but a few things happened today that really just got on my nerves.

Now before I hop on my soap box, let me give you a little bit of background information. We have two main elevators in the building (no one likes to use the other elevators because they're old and on the other side of the building) and one of them is currently broken. That means that everyone who wants to ride the elevator to their committee meetings or the legislator's offices has to wait for the one elevator, walk to one of the smaller elevators, or take the stairs. You would think, working with a bunch of adults, this would be no problem.

You'd be wrong.

The first incident happened as I was waiting to get on the elevator. I had a meeting on the third floor. While I was waiting for the elevator to arrive, more and more people began to crowd around the doors. When the car finally arrived, people began to push to get on the elevator.

This is where my pet peeve begins. Proper etiquette would dictate that you wait your turn. If you arrive late and know that others have been waiting long, let them go first. This doesn't happen any more. The attitude now is push your way on; who cares about anyone else.

Thus leading to my next irritation. Using the elevator to go up or down one floor. Now I know I am guilty of this on more then one occasion. Yes, I too get lazy and hate the stairs. However, when you have a broken elevator, you can see a line (mob) waiting to get on, and you are physically able; TAKE THE STAIRS! Guess what, you will probably get there faster and everyone can use the workout.

Finally, the last episode didn't happen until my meeting was over. I left the hearing room and decided to take the elevator back down to get rid of my computer. The elevator had stopped on my requested floor and I was getting ready to exit, when a woman who had been waiting for the elevator to arrive, pushed her way in and cut me off. Now I don't know about you, but when I was little my parents trained me that you wait until everyone has gotten off the elevator before you get on.

When did manners become a lost art? When did etiquette become such a rare occurrence that it shocks us when we see it? Everything today is about me, me, me. We are totally unaware of those around us. We see this same behavior everywhere; people drive like idiots, use inappropriate language in public places, and the biggest one of all, talk on cell phones in public places. (ie. retail stores, restaurants, theaters, etc.)

End of soap box! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I join you on that soapbox?
How about people in airplanes that push their way up the aisle instead of waiting their turn to exit?
Jessy's Mom

Jessica said...

Oh...that bugs me too!