Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Diary of a Home Owner

In case I haven't told you before, my home in Reno is officially on the market. (Moving day just keeps getting closer and closer.) Oh and did I mention my real estate license came the other day! That's right, I'm legal now.

So add these two things together and you have one very observant seller. Everyday I come home and see little tale tell signs that someone has been in my house. This is fine, sell the house, sell the house, sell the house! However, there are just a couple of things that I have noticed and will file in my brain under things not to do when showing a home.

Leaving lights on
- I know I am weird, we've discovered that already, but I really don't like fluorescent lights and I really can't stand the one in my kitchen. I very rarely use it, so when I come home and it's on, it's quite noticeable. It would be nice if the agent turned off the lights when they leave the room.

Leaving doors and curtains open
- I doubt most people would notice things like this, but I am the daughter of a cop who has lived alone for the last five years. It's in my blood to check for signs of an intruder the minute I open the front door. I notice when the window coverings on the screen door are open and internal doors that where closed aren't. Again a little thing, but still noticeable

These are just two of my pet peeves I have discovered from having my home on the market for the past week. I understand that I am not going to change the behavior of other agents, nor is it my job to, but I can take the things that I have learned and either steal their good ideas or I can learn from their mistakes. Having my house on the market before I myself try to sell someone else's is turning out to be a very valuable lesson.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great attitude!
I have always believed that REALTORS who buy, sell and invest themselves make better agents.

It is common courtesy to leave the property in the same condition as when you arrived but, in their defense, when you are showing multiple properties it is difficult to keep track.

Maybe you should bake cookies. I hear that helps (or maybe it's burying the Virgin Mary statue upside down in the front lawn?)

Jessica said...

What front lawn?

Jessica said...

I have nothing to bake cookies on, I packed it all! :)