Monday, May 16, 2005

Diary of a Home Owner

Sometimes the littlest things can make you very proud of yourself. I was doing some cleaning this weekend and while I was vacuuming, noticed that the plate the phone jack connects to was missing. Seeing this, I remembered that when I moved in, the plate was cracked and needed to be replaced. (As you can tell I got right on that!)

I decided that this probably wasn't a very good thing to have while trying to sell my house, so on Sunday I decided that I was going to go to the hardware store around the corner and buy a new plate. (I was smart and took inventory for all the other outlet plates before I left so I would only have to make one trip!) I figured that all I would need is another plate, all the wiring was fine and the jack works perfectly. Alas, I was wrong. Apparently nobody's plate just breaks like that, (the very helpful employee looked at me like I was, well...Blonde) you have to replace the entire thing. Yes, this means rewiring the jack. The same very helpful employee very patiently showed me that the plate came with Outlet Wiring for Blondes instructions that included color coded pictures and corresponding wires.

Despite my hair coloring, I was successful! This now makes the second thing I have rewired in my house. (Completely on my own I might add!) Task completed, I just sat back and grinned at myself. (I am such a goof!) I learned a new task, yet another thing to add to my list of weird and/or useless knowledge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Jessica, you're on your way to being a good homeowner/